How to refill a Pilot V-Pen disposable fountain pen
After receiving more than a question on how to refill a Pilot VPen (V4) Disposable Fountain Pen (or Varsity in the US market) disposable fountain pen I catch this chance on my blog to post some useful information.
But first let me spread some words about this fountain pen. Disposable fountain pen.
First of all we are talking about the Pilot VPen (V4) Disposable Fountain Pen. This is a great fountain pen, probably the better (disposable) fountain pen under 5 bucks available worldwide.
Or at least can come with Platinum Preppy that has two nib choices and it’s refillable with cartridge or to be transformed into an eye dropper pen (but this will be another story).It comes only with a medium nib, and it writes always smoothly as silk. It could be also the first fountain pen if you want to start to taste the world of fountain pens. It writes as silk in almost every paper and the combination ink and nib is pretty wet.
I like wet nibs and inks. The nib is not springy but I don’t care, I’m not doing calligraphy. The most important thing is that it writes and writes well and smoothly like more pricey pens.
That I will still continue to buy of course.
So… why I have to refill this pen? Why taking a lot of effort to refill this pen when it is disposable? Personally I do it for fun first, I think I can refill it for several times until it will leaks. Second, I refill this pen because I can play more freely with it: I have battlefield fountain pen that I use mainly at work with Noodler’s Black Ink, next time I will do some ink mixing with it. Third: a small recycling does good for the environment.
Filling this small jewel is really easy, just we have to dismantle it with some care. Clean, refill with your favorite ink, re-assemble.
Here what’s needed: a kind of pliers with small noses, a piece of rag or paper. For instance I used my Leatherman sidekick and a piece of paper.
Here it is:
- Grab firmly the sides of the nib with the pliers with. Use some paper or rag to avoid too much scratching.
- Pull off the nib from the sides with some force and you will hear a click. The nib and the feeder are now detached. Still pulling will free out all the feeding compartment.
- Now you can detach even the steel nib from the feeder with the same technique as above. Pretty easy, you just have to hold the feeder with a hand: the other will grab the sides of the feeder
- Clean everything with warm soapy water and let dry all the sections if you want. I did it but it’s obviously optional
After everything is dried you can go for the refilling of the Pilot. Or you can hack even more the feedback as per your choice. For the refill just use your favorite ink: you have to refill the barrel with a syringe, with a eye dropper, with a teaspoon or with a drinking straw. Use what you have and your imagination. Then…
- Slide the nib over the feeder
- Insert the feeder firmly and straight into the barrel until you hear a pleasant click.
- Start sketching or doodling or chicken scratching. our choice.
- I used to make the ink barrel transparent just rubbing hardly it against the corners of my desktop covered with simple photocopiers paper or bad prints. But use whatever you have in hand, even rubbing the barrel against the corner of a magazine works.
So now you know how to refill a Pilot VPen (V4) Disposable Fountain Pen. Simpler to do than to describe here in this post. 🙂
I have also did a little hacking the nib feeder after the refilling of this pen, to better accommodate the flow of Noodler’s Black Ink that is some what viscous than the original ink.